Butterfly Fund

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Happy birthday to my Heather!

 How can it be true?? This is beyond unfair!


Heather 6 months, Sandra 3 years
My baby, my cute little baby will be 21 tomorrow!!
In this picture, she is just over 6 months old.

Yes, she is a big girl. She has been large for her age always.

When she was just over 2, I had taken her to the grocery store with me, and she through one of those lovely temper tantrums that 2 year old's are notorious for. A lady came up to me and told me that I should make her act her age! I promptly told her she was! Needless to say, the lady turned away in a huff.
Although my child's behavior is no one's business but my own, in the lady's defense, at 2 years old, Heather did resemble a 5 year old .

In this picture, she is shown with her sister Sandra, who is 3.


My pregnancy with Heather was fairly easy, until my 5th month. Then the premature labor set in. She has always been in a hurry. We staved off her deliver for another 8 weeks, and my baby girl was born 3.5 weeks early. She weighed in at 6 pounds, 11 ounces, and 19 inches long. It is probably a good thing she was early, or I would have given birth to a toddler.

Heather's life has always been over-shadowed by her sister's handicaps. It was not something I wanted to do, it was just done. Sandra had everyday needs that had to come first, if for no other reason, than her physical survival. I know now, that this did cause Heather heartache and anguish. I do not really know how I could have changed her growing up years, but if I could go back and change a few things, I would if at all possible.

Since Heather was about 4 years old, she has been the "Big Sister". She outgrew Sandra fairly quickly, and with Sandra's mental handicaps, Heather out grew her in those areas as well. I have to admit, Heather was a very good big sister. She protected Sandra. She loved Sandra. She helped Sandra.

When we lived in Arkansas, we lived in a small apartment complex. Sandra was 5, Heather was 3. Our apartment faced a basketball court that the girls would play on with their tricycles. One morning as they were playing, I had stepped into the apartment to check on something and heard the most awful caterwauling commence. I stepped back outside quickly, and there was Heather beating the snot out of some 6 year old boy who had attempted to take Sandra's tricycle from her! Even when they fought the most as sisters, Heather has always protected Sandra. When other children would pick on Sandra due to her mental or physical deficiencies, Heather was always right there ready to whomp someone! She did not care if it would get her into trouble with school, bus drivers, church.. It did not matter. She protected and defended her sister.

When we lost our Sandra, Heather's first reaction was to blame herself. She blamed herself because she was not there. In her mind, if she was there she could have stopped it. She could have prevented it. She could have gotten the help needed. I need her to know that this is NOT the case. "Heather, you could not have saved your Sandra." Even if Sandra had been in the hospital, in a full surgical suite, she could not be saved. The masses of blood clots that formed, were beyond anyone's help.

Your sister loves you, and she knows that you love her. Sandra loves you! She always will. I love you!

Happy birthday baby girl.

Happy birthday my ladybug.

I love you!

Kindergarten

Loving the puppies

One of my most favorite pictures!

4th Grade?