Butterfly Fund

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Make an apron from a pillow case

Pillowcase Apron Tutorial - Jenney Tilley

So I decided to join my first ever apron swap, with one of the requirements being a summer apron and the other being it has to have at least one pocket… I set out to see what I could find fabric wise…. My first stop was Goodwill, where I stumbled upon this GREAT pillowcase!  The print is definitely summery and fun, and the rick rack…. I mean come on… Well, with 4 boys I doubted any of them would be interested in this as a pillowcase… When it hit me…. Why couldn’t I make an apron out of a pillowcase??  So here goes my tutorial if you can even really call it that…. I tried to take pictures as I went along and some of them are slightly blurry {sorry}….
Pillowcase
Decide how long you want your apron {remember seam allowance} and cut
Choose a coordinating fabric for your ties and pocket
Cut into 5 inch strips the entire length of the fabric, fold in half right side to right side.  Sew the open edge and turn right side out… I then connected the two long strips together, making one LONG strip {this will be the tie}
I used my cheese grater {for my pocket pattern} and traced it on a file folder.
Cut out and trace on coordinating fabric I folded my fabric in half {so I would get a front and back to the pocket}
Place coordinating rick rack inbetween right side to right side at the top of your pocket, pin in place.  Sew the pocket together leaving a small opening to turn right side out. 
Center your long tie, fold your raw cut edge of the pillowcase toward the tie, pin in place.
Pin pocket in place, I liked mine off centered.  Sew both apron tie and pocket on.
Apron Complete
Look at the CUTE button I found for the pocket!
{The great thing about a pillowcase apron is the sides and hem are already done for you}
Super Simple and FUN!