Butterfly Fund

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Did you know that soap you buy is really not GOOD SOAP???

Did you know that the regular soap you buy at the store is really not good soap at all?


When you purchase soap at the store for bathing, cleaning, etc, you are purchasing a chemical compound created by a company.

Soap manufacturers, (large corporations), remove the good things from soap, such as the glycerine, and replace it with other chemicals.

The smell good in soap is from chemical compounds, rather than natural essential oils.

Ever wonder why your skin is dry, cracked, and peeling? It is because when you bathe with store bought soap, you are bathing in chemicals.

Real soap, is made from three basic ingredients: Fat, water, and lye.

I make soap for The Butterfly Bonsai and for my family.
I have 3 basic recipes.
One for the hubby, one for me, and one for household cleaning.

I make soap for the family usually about 2X a year. Mainly, so that I never run out.

Soap 1: Hubby's Soap: Lard, coconut oil, water, lye, coffee grounds. Yep, that's it. The coffee grounds acts as an exfoliant. Like a pumice soap would work for cleaning super dirty mechanic's hands, the coffee grounds work the same way, except that they do NOT strip the callouses or scratch the skin. The natural glycerine that is created in the soap during the saponification process of making soap, leaves my husband's hands conditioned and smooth. The husband does want me to make the next batch with citrus oil, so I will be trying that one out for him.

For myself, I like to spoil myself a bit. I make a "luxury bar", that is made from: Lard, coconut oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, almond oil, olive oil, water, lye, and either lavender oil or peppermint oil.

For the household cleaning, I make a Castille Soap, that is made from: Olive oil, water, and lye.

Yes, soap making can be a bit intimidating, considering you are working with a nasty compound, lye. BUT, once you learn how to use it properly, it is much less scary, and you can create really cool soaps!

I do not make the "froo-froo" soaps with all the fancy designs, but because I do not spend all the extra time with artistic needs, I can keep my soap costs fairly low. I know ladies who command a rather large price for a single bar of soap due to how they look. While yes, these are gorgeous bars of soap, Once you use it, you are destroying the pretty look of the soap. So why would you use it? You are paying for something to look at, rather than use.
I want to purchase a soap I can use, that will clean me well, but is not going to cost a pretty penny!

What is the difference between handmade soaps & commercial bar soaps?

The two biggest differences are the glycerin in handmade soaps and the lack of detergents.
Glycerin is naturally produced during saponification. It’s a humectant which means it draws moisture from the air to your skin so it leaves your skin soft and moisturized. Commercial soaps remove the glycerin and sell it separately and/or use glycerin in more profitable products like moisturizers.
Detergents are synthetic often petroleum based cleansers whereas soap is simply oils and butters saponified with lye. I won’t get into the whole issue of polluting our water supply with detergents or my issues with petroleum byproducts. Detergents strip your skin, leaving it dry whereas soap cleanses without stripping.
Another issue with detergent based soaps is that the preservatives required to keep these acidic soaps from growing bacteria are toxic and drying as well. A well formulated handmade soap will outshine a detergent based bar soap any day!
If you are new to handmade soaps, you are in for a huge treat because they leave your skin feeling completely different than commercial soaps. I superfat all my soaps by about 5%, which means that I leave 5% extra oils/butters that doesn’t get turned into soap. Those extra oils/butters leave your skin moisturized.

So, if you are interested in great quality but relatively inexpensive handmade soap, stop by The butterfly Bonsai for a bar or 2...  My average pricing is $2-$3 a bar, versus the $5-$10 a bar for the "froo-froo" bars. :)